FAQ Applicants

Qualifications / Exams / Procedures for application in NC for a:

North Carolina General Statute 90-187 and Administrative Rule .0301 provide information about the qualifications and exam procedures for North Carolina.

NOTE: North Carolina does NOT accept reciprocity.

Temporary Permit - Two (2) Types

FEE: $150
Exam Temporary Permit: For those scheduled to take the NC State Exam
This permit allows an individual who has applied for the NC State Exam to obtain a certificate to practice veterinary medicine under the supervision of a NC licensed veterinarian while awaiting their scheduled test date.  To apply for a Temporary Permit, you must first apply for the State Exam. If you've already done so, log in to the Licensure Gateway and select the Temporary Permit application for those taking the exam and submit.
ATTENTION: The Temporary Permit CANNOT be processed until your exam application and all the required documents for the State Exam have been received.

FEE: $150
60-Day Temporary Permit: For a Non-Resident Veterinarian
Another type of temporary permit is also available to a non-resident veterinarian validly licensed in another state, territory or district of the United States or a foreign country, provided that such temporary permit shall be issued for a period of no more than sixty (60) days. G.S. 90-187.4. For those seeking a 60-Day Temporary Permit, you must first create an account via the Licensure Gateway. Once registered, you will log back in and select the 60-Day Temporary Permit application to submit.

Privilege License

Required for veterinarians providing services in North Carolina.

Application for NC State Privelege License.

Contact Us

Phone: 919-854-5601
Fax: 919-854-5606

1611 Jones Franklin Rd, Ste 106
Raleigh, NC 27606